I am halfway through the book The Pact
by Jodi Picoult. The pact is a love story about two 17 year olds Emily and
Chris. They decide to make a pact to commit suicide together. Emily dies, but her
boyfriend Chris survives. As you are reading the book you don’t know why they
made the pact. But Jodi Picoult structures the book so that you have clues that
reveal why Chris and Emily decided to create a suicide pact.
The structure for the book is
past/present. Every other chapter is in the past told in the third person. The chapters
of the book narrated in the present are about what is going on with Chris after
Emily’s death. The police think that he murdered her and that he is lying about
the suicide pact. And that might be the case. The part of the book that take
place in the past is about how Chris and Emily were best friends when they grew
up together and how they turned out falling in love.
I am not finished with this book. But
it is really addicting. The structure of The Pact is different from a lot of
other books I have read. the structure that The Pact has on me allows
the reader to find out more about Emily who is only a main character in the
past. Other books just tell you what is happening but in this book I can take
different parts of the book and just piece them together.
I like the detail you put into your writing. Also, the way you wrote this, i could just picture the book right now!
ReplyDeleteits really good you should read it
ReplyDelete