Sunday, April 21, 2013

my sisters keeper

          I am in the middle of a great book called My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Piccoult. So far this book 

is the best book I have ever read. It is a very sad book about a girl named Kate who gets cancer when 

she is little. Her parents have another baby, Anna who is made so that she has the exact same body 

Kate, who has cancer. Anna has to give her bone marrow and other parts of her body to Kate so Kate 

can live. All Anna’s parents want is for Kate not to die. When Anna realizes that her parents don’t 

love her that she files a lawsuit. A big theme in this book is understanding.

       Anna and Kate don’t have any friends. They are each other’s best friends, so when Anna files the 

lawsuit against their parents, she is confused. Kate doesn’t understand what it is like to have your 

parents not love you. And since Kate is the one with cancer, she doesn’t realize that because of her 

Anna is neglected. I think that by the end of the book Kate will feel empathy for Anna.

             Another example why the theme of this book is understanding is that Anna and Kate’s 

brother Jessie understands Anna. Jessie was the first-born. He was the only child until Kate was born. 

It wasn’t until Kate got diagnosed with cancer that Jessie was shut out of the family. Everybody was 

always paying attention to Kate. And it never stopped. Jessie and Anna were the outcasts of the 

family, so Jessie and Anna teamed up and filed a lawsuit. Since nobody cared about Jessie, he was 

taking drugs and doing whatever he wanted to.

             I think that the theme of My Sister’s Keeper is understanding. There are a lot more examples 

 that show understanding but I picked the top two. Anna’s parents were very angry with her when she 

filed the lawsuit, but I predict that by the end of My Sister’s Keeper the whole family will eventually 

understand each other but then again it might be to late…

No comments:

Post a Comment