Monday, September 17, 2012
Responding to To Kill a Mockingbird
Over the summer I read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It was a good book, but a little hard to get into. The book was set in Macomb County, Alabama so the characters talked with a southern accent that I'm not used to reading. But once I got into the story, I couldn't put it down.
To Kill a Mockingbird was about a white lawyer named Atticus Finch who was defending a black man named Tom Robinson who was accused of committing a crime. This story takes place during the depression. So, the trial brings out the ugly side of most of the town's people. Even though this story is about the trial, it is told by Scout (Jean Louise) Finch who is the daughter of Atticus Finch. Scout describes her life, the people in her life and what is going on around her and her brother Jem.
One person in the town that they are fascinated with is Boo (Arthur) Radley. Boo is one of there neighbors and his father kept him locked in the house for his whole life. Boo is a grown up now and nobody has ever seen him. That is why Scout and Jem try to send notes to him and get him to come out of the house. When you are reading about the trial you sort of forget about Boo Radley, but in the end of the book some thing big happens and Boo plays a really important role in it.
I would recommend this book for other people because it really sucks you in. After i finished the book i saw the movie but the movie left a lot of things out so it really wasn't as good as the book. So, if you start to read To Kill a Mocking bird and it's hard to get in to keep reading it because i promise you will love it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also read this book. I think you did a good job on describing the characters, but also you should add a little bit more details about boo. (like how they think he is weird at first and what he does that makes them change their minds
ReplyDeleteThat was a great blog I like all the details and you didn't spoil it, now I want to read it!
ReplyDelete